Google Photos on Android has the option of creating a locked folder to hide your sensitive photos & videos on the phone. See how to set up a locked folder in Google Photos below.
Launch the Google Photos app on your Android mobile. Switch to the Library tab from the bottom of the page. Click Utilities at the upper right of the page.
If this is the first time you use the Locked Folder tool, you’ll be prompted to set it up.
Tap on Set up Locked Folder as shown above. Or scroll down to the lower section and tap on Locked Folder to set it up.
You should know be prompted to use your current device screen lock for authentication.
If no screen lock has been set, go to create one, could it be a swipe, pattern, Pin, password or fingerprint. You can’t set a separate password for the Locked Folder in Google Photos.
If your folder is empty, you’ll find “Nothing here yet.” Tap on Move items button at the bottom or the Add icon at the upper right corner to browse through your photos and videos, select and import any videos from the Photos app to the Locked Folder.
Locked Folder Bonus Tips
- You can’t set a separate password for the Locked Folder in Google Photos.
- Media files in the Locked Folder aren’t backed up to your Google account.
- Photos, videos saved to the Locked Folder are inaccessible from other phones and computers.
- Items in Locked Folder can’t be (and will stop being) backed up or shared.
- Related photos, including copies and edited version you’ve saved, aren’t automatically moved.
- Items will be deleted if you uninstall Google Photos, and won’t be moved automatically when you transfer devices.
Other apps to hide photos, videos on Android
Android users can also opt for other photo lock or protection apps over Google Photos. In fact, many Android phones have the built-in utility to hide, lock or password protect photos and videos.
- Hide private photos, videos on Tecno mobile phone;
- Hide photos, videos, sound recordings on Infinix phone.
Password protect files on Android with third-party apps
If your phone does not come with such an app or utility, you can find many alternatives from Google Play. Folder Lock is one of the most popular ones. You can find more details from this photos & videos password protection for Android guide.